Executive Sous Chef
Posted Tue, Mar 22 | City Works Eatery & Pour House
Job title: Exec Sous Chef
Reports to: Sr. Executive Chef
Department: BOH Operations
Hours of work:
Ability to work a variable schedule, including weekends.
Bottleneck Management operates vibrant, high-energy, approachable restaurants in the most dynamic neighborhoods and locations. From the start, we’ve been about genuine people and genuine hospitality. We’ve grown into a crowd-pleasing hospitality juggernaut while continuing to hold our core values close to our hearts.
- Understand the wants and needs of others
- Support others through words and actions
- Empower each team member to excel
- Enjoy each other, our guests and our time at work
We believe it’s our people that make us strong, so we’re committed to finding driven, hospitable, upbeat and intelligent teammates. Whether it’s in our home office or our restaurants, we put hospitality first, like excellent hosts at a party.
We offer a fun and supportive working environment, with competitive salaries, insurance, 401k, vacation, paid sick days and generous restaurant discounts.
Our Executive Sous Chefs are a key part of our team, and critical to providing genuine hospitality. They are energetic, excited to grow in the hospitality industry and care about their team.
The Executive Sous Chef is second in command in our kitchen, following our Sr. Executive Chef’s specifications and guidelines. The successful candidate will employ its culinary and managerial skills to play a critical role in maintaining and enhancing our guest satisfaction.
Primary Responsibilities and Requirements
- Help in the preparation and design of all food and drinks menus
- Produce high quality plates both design and taste wise
- Ensure that the kitchen operates in a timely way that meets our quality standards
- Fill in for the Executive Chef in planning and directing food preparation when necessary
- Resourcefully solve any issues that arise and seize control of any problematic situation
- Manage and train kitchen staff, establish working schedule and assess staff’s performance
- Order supplies to stock inventory appropriately
- Comply with and enforce sanitation regulations and safety standards
- Maintain a positive and professional approach with coworkers and customers
Qualifications & Skills
- 3+ years of experience as a Sous Chef
- Understanding of various cooking methods, ingredients, equipment and procedures
- Excellent record of kitchen and staff management
- Accuracy and speed in handling emergency situations and providing solutions
- Familiar with industry’s best practices
- Working knowledge of various computer software programs (MS Office, restaurant management software, POS)
- BS degree in Culinary science or related certificate would be a plus
- Provide Leadership and Relationship Building responsibilities for BOH staff
Work Environment/ Physical Demand:
- Must be able to stand for full shift
- Must be able to lift at least 50 pounds
- Must have good hearing for accurate communication with guests.
- Must be able to use hands and fingers to handle and feel objects, tools controls and type
- Must be able to work in areas of loud noises.
- Required to frequently reach, bend, stoop, and carry
- Must be able to work in both warm and cool environments; indoors and outdoors
- Must be able to tolerate potential exposure to allergens: peanut products, egg, dairy, gluten, soy, seafood and shellfish
- Long periods of standing and walking to different parts of the restaurant at different levels.
- Fast paced hands on position.
- Dining facilities are both outside and inside.
- Lighting is maintained at a low level.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an associate to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
This is not necessarily an all-inclusive list of job-related responsibilities, duties, skills, efforts, requirements or working conditions. While this is intended to be an accurate reflection of the current job, management reserves the right to revise the job or to require that other or different tasks be performed as assigned.
Bottleneck Management provides equal employment opportunities to all employees and applicants for employment and prohibits discrimination and harassment of any type without regard to race, color, religion, age, sex, national origin, disability status, genetics, protected veteran status, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other characteristic protected by federal, state or local laws.
An equal opportunity employer
For additional details or to apply, please visit:
Parking & directions
Arsenal Yards is approximately a 10-minute drive from Harvard Square and approximately a 15-minute drive from Copley Square. Other areas will find it easily accessible from the Mass Pike or Fresh Pond Parkway, among many routes available to Watertown’s East End. Once on site, ample free parking is available. Traveling via public transportation? MBTA bus route 70 stops right on site and can be picked up at the Central Square Red Line T stop.