Bakery - Assistant Manager
Posted Wed, Jan 6 | Roche Bros. - Now Open!
About the Role:
Work with bakery manager to effectively plan, organize, lead, coordinate and optimize the materials and human resources in the bakery department to provide variety and high quality merchandise appealingly displayed to maximize the sales and profits of the bakery department while providing great customer service. The Assistant Bakery Manager will function as the department manager in his/her absence.
- Must be 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Successful experience in the bakery operation (i.e., merchandising, ordering, inventorying, and pricing)
- Complete training in the bakery operation.
- Must be Servsafe certified.
- Ability to display initiative and work with limited supervision.
- Must be able to read, write, speak, and understand English, with the ability to follow instructions.
- Ability to work a scheduled based on the business needs of the store location.
- Authorized to work within the U.S.
The list of essential functions is not exhaustive and may be supplemented as necessary by the company.
- Provide an open door atmosphere conducive to high associate morale and excellent customer service.
- Achieve the highest associate morale in the industry by managing in a style that is respectful, supportive and totally team oriented (RSTO).
- Commit to the “Golden Rule” and work with other associates to build a strong bakery team.
- Promote the company image as a service-oriented operation where every associate will greet, assist, render efficient service and thank customers in a prompt, courteous, friendly and business-like manner.
- Ensure the department achieves the standards of performance as outlined in the work and merchandising plan and guarantee the best-trained bakery team in the industry through training in accordance with company policy and procedures.
- Possess good communication skills and the ability to conduct and facilitate department meetings.
- Ensure all new department associates receive proper review and indoctrination of job descriptions, goals, and objectives.
- Ensure fair and consistent treatment in administering discipline to promote high associate morale.
- Responsible for department associate’s completion of the onboarding/e-learnings and checklists within 30 days of hire/entering the department.
- Conduct weekly sales meetings with bakery manager & associates to establish merchandising, sales and profit objectives.
- Responsible for assisting department manager in inventory, security and expense control of the department.
- Resolve customer complaints to the full satisfaction of the customer.
- Ensure the department is merchandised in accordance with the needs of the community.
- Order, receive, store, price, date, rotate and stock product and prepare product for display and sale.
- Keep all bakery ingredients or merchandise rotated in accordance with company policy and product code dates and always makes use of the oldest products first (first in, first out).
- Effectively control proper storage limiting shrink and damaged goods.
- Achieve and maintain department’s merchandising goals and standards in cooperation with store manager and department merchandisers and buyers (such as gross profit, presentation, etc.)
- Ensure all wage and hour policies and regulations are adhered to and respond timely to all location mail, reports and records.
- Assist department manager with work schedules and breaks; achieve payroll consistently by scheduling with budget.
- Proof dough products, bake breads, cookies and other bakery product, and cook and prepare bakery products according to company guidelines.
- Prepare special orders as requested by customers (i.e. special occasion cakes, party platters, write on cakes/prepare product, etc.).
- Offer product samples, answer product questions and offer assistance in finding or suggesting product selection.
- Delegate and use initiative, ingenuity and good judgment to act on opportunities and solve problems.
- Ensure company standards of safety, proper food handling practices, sanitation and productivity are achieved, along with practicing the “Cleaner’s Creed” and proper sanitation procedures.
- Monitor cooler and display area temperatures to ensure product quality; report refrigeration failure immediately.
- Ensure sales and work area are swept clean, orderly and free from safety hazards, and exercise proper safety practices when lifting or moving product or using equipment.
Secondary Job Functions:
- Verify price checks for customers as needed.
- Ensure all product labels, signs and prices are aligned with product.
- Ensure department associates adhere to company dress code standard (i.e. name tags, personal hygiene, etc.)
- Notify management of associate theft, customer shoplifting, unauthorized mark downs or property defacement.
- Clean walls, fans and drains in bakery coolers, display cases and work area.
- Other duties assigned by management.
For additional details or to apply, please visit:
Parking & directions
Arsenal Yards is approximately a 10-minute drive from Harvard Square and approximately a 15-minute drive from Copley Square. Other areas will find it easily accessible from the Mass Pike or Fresh Pond Parkway, among many routes available to Watertown’s East End. Once on site, ample free parking is available. Traveling via public transportation? MBTA bus route 70 stops right on site and can be picked up at the Central Square Red Line T stop.